[GRASSLIST:4068] vectorizing rasters

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Mon Aug 2 12:33:13 EDT 2004

I have a some scanned maps (black and white, essentially line art) that
I have imported into a grass53 xy location. I am looking for more
efficient ways to convert them to vector files than heads up digitizing
with v.digit.

I have tried r.thin and v.line. However, the resultant map has got lots
of little dangles that hang off "real" lines. I was going to try using
v.trim to remove them (my guess is that they are around 2 -3 pixels in
length), but I'm getting "v.trim command not found", was v.trim removed
from 53?

That being said, an even bigger problem is all the little 2 to 5 pixel
line segments the within the enclosed polygons. These are a result of
trying to vectorize a raster that had bunches of little dots all over
the place that had nothing to do with the actual line art of the map,
but were created by the scanner as a representation of paper color.

The main question here is this. Am I wasting my time trying to skip
over the v.digit step? or would anyone recommend some kind of filtering
approach first (photoshop or the like) before the maps are even read
into grass?

Thanks

Kirk