[GRASSLIST:4075] Re: Lost tcltkgrass interface

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Aug 3 02:07:33 EDT 2004

Kurt,

I think you must have tried to create a new location. In older versions,
this caused a crash in the Mac version of GRASS 5.3 and possibly 5.7. It
works fine in current versions. To fix your problem, you need to edit your
.grassrc57 file. This is located in your home directory. You will need to
edit this using a program that can recognize files that start with a dot.
You can use nedit for xwindows or pico in the terminal.

Set the GISDBASE, LOCATION_NAME, and MAPSET to correct values if needed
Set GRASS_GUI: tcltk

Save the file and restart GRASS.

If necessary, start grass with grass57 -tcltk, or type tcltkgrass & from the
GRASS xterm prompt.

Make sure you have a current version of GRASS 5.7. With a mac.com address,
I'm guessing you are a Mac user. You can download the latest binaries using
Lorenzo Moretti's packages at <http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/>. For
downloading, use the JRC mirror if you are in Europe and the ASU mirror if
you are in the USA.

Both GRASS 5.3 and 5.7 come with nice GUI's and a very nice interface for
organizing and displaying GIS layers, the display manager (d.dm in GRASS 5.3
and d.m in GRASS 5.7).

My website (www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/grass.htm) has tcktkgrass packages
for 5.3 and 5.7 if you just need to reinstall this part. Hope this helps.

Michael