[GRASSLIST:4077] Re: [GRASS5] questions for updating tcltkgrass for 5.7

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Aug 3 02:37:23 EDT 2004

Paolo,

Actually, it is more complicated than this. I have tcltk 8.4 and NVIZ runs
fine. This is also the case with tcltk on many other systems. What I've been
able to gather from watching the discussion is that tcltk 8.x is not the
same on all systems and there is a particular problem with 8.4 for a few
OS's not being completely compatible with tcltk on other OS's. This
incompatiblility among 'flavors' of tcltk is why I can't run GRASS under the
native Mac BSD tcltk. It is missing (or has different versions) of some
critical commands/functions. My (admittedly limited) understanding is that
something like this is also the case on a few Linux OS versions, perhaps
your too.

GRASS and NVIZ tries to be useable on as many systems as possible. And in
fact, it runs on a wider variety of OS's than any other GIS I know of.
However, it still doesn't run (or run smoothly) on ALL OS's out there. I
think NVIZ is set up to run on the most widely available versions of tcltk.
This means, of course, that it might not run on a few other versions.

NVIZ is still being updated actively. The last update in the CVS for NVIZ
was a week ago. However, my guess that to make it work on your particular
version of tcltk risks breaking it for a much larger number of tcltk
versions. This is the case with the Mac native tcltk. There is a project in
the works to move GRASS away from a tcltk interface and use a different GUI
platform. This may ultimately solve your issue--but of course could raise
new ones also.

It sounds from your message that you can make NVIZ work, but it requires
some special steps in the compiling. Rather than compile it on multiple
workstations, would it be possible to designate one workstation as the
compiler and then create binary packages that you can install on the rest of
your computers? Also, perhaps there is someone at your institution who has
sufficient knowledge to offer a patch that could broaden NVIZ's
compatibility with an even larger number of tcltk versions. If so, they
could work with the other developers to make this work. Best of luck to you.
I hope there will be a way to make this work better for you.

Michael