[GRASSLIST:4099] Re: X-windows, cygwin & GRASS

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 4 19:23:41 EDT 2004

> Having established that the tcltk GUI should work with GRASS on
> Cygwin,

Yes, it does.

> I have a better understanding of my problem: As I understand
> it I need to be running Xwin in full screen mode in order to start
> tcltkgrass.

You don't have to be but various things work better.

> However, if I start Xwin (in full screen mode or otherwise) Cygwin
> becomes unresponsive (XWin is offering no means of inputting
> commands), so I can't start tcltkgrass. As soon as Xwin is shut down,
> Cygwin accepts and tries to execute any command I've tried to input
> while Xwin is open.

When you start X, the startx program has control of the Cygwin
shell-window until you exit X. It doesn't run in the background unless
you tell it to. Also, X should open up a new graphical version of
'xterm'. If not, see if it exists from the widnows start menu. You need
to launch GRASS (or any other graphics program, such as the venerable
'xeyes') from within the X environment, ie from an xterm.

Hamish