[GRASSLIST:4102] Re: Install grass57-5.7.0-2mdk.i586.rpm

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Aug 5 01:44:32 EDT 2004

seikian at enciety.com wrote:

> I'm beginner in linux world and interested in GRASS.
> i try to install grass57-5.7.0-2mdk.i586.rpm in my computer(mandrake10)
> and i found :
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libfftw.so.2 is needed by grass57-5.7.0-2mdk
>         libgdal.so.1 is needed by grass57-5.7.0-2mdk
>
> I have already install gdal and fftw by compiling their source
> ( gdal-1.2.1,  fftw-3.0.1) and it was done.
> but why it still error while i'm trying to install grass57,
> i mean the same error that i founded.

RPM only knows about files which were installed from RPMs. Because you
didn't install GDAL and FFTW via RPM, RPM doesn't know that they are
installed, so it is telling you that you need to install them.

Searching on rpmfind.net shows GDAL and FFTW RPMs for Mandrake.
Alternatively, you can use "rpm --force ..." to install ignore the
dependency issues. However, note that GRASS won't work with FFTW
3.0.1; it requires FFTW 2.x.