[GRASSLIST:4118] Help: Tiger/Line to Geotiff?

Leonard Budney lbudney at pobox.com
Fri Aug 6 09:10:45 EDT 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to convert Tiger/Line data into street maps in geotiff
format. The two main things I still can't do are: label the roads;
produce the geotiff output.

I've followed the tutorials at <http://tinyurl.com/5fbbu> and
<http://tinyurl.com/5dh5w>, using Grass53, and have successfully
displayed a single county's streets, railroads and streams on the
screen, each in appropriate colors. The script I used to do that is
attached.

I have also used v.in.ogr to import the Tiger/Line data, using the OGR
layer name "CompleteChain", and it produced a map which appeared to
show all the same features, but all lines were black.

When I use v.to.rast on any of my maps, the resulting raster map is
blank except for a scattering of small multi-colored squares. This
appears to be a necessary first step before generating geotiff, since
there is no v.to.tiff command.

To generate labels I've tried several things: using awk to create a
dig_cats file (as suggested on this mailing list in the archives);
importing paint lables (from the same file with the header removed and
the ":" converted to a single space) and then running d.paint.labels on
it; and a random assortment of *.*label* commands. The closest I've
come to (apparent) success was running d.paint.labels, which generated
hundreds of errors of the form:

	Error: rotate: 4.462818
	Error: rotate: 302.660913
	Error: rotate: 340.559965

Is there any way to generate labeled road maps from the Tiger/Line data
using Grass? What I'm hoping for is to produce a street map, preferably
of an entire state (or sizable fraction thereof), with street names, in
geotiff format, so I can use it in with my GPS software. (MacGPS uses
pict format, so that would be spiffy too--but it can import geotiff
without problems.)

Thanks!
Len.