[GRASSLIST:4168] GRASS installation problem

van der Mark, C.J. <xs4all account via olvg> cvdmark at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 11 05:31:29 EDT 2004

Hello,

I'm a newbie GRASS user and I have a problem with installing the package.

I run WIN-XP (homeversion), NTFS, on a PIII 550Mhz, 512 Mb RAM
Multiboot system Win98(C) / WinXP(D)

Installed Cygwin according to the install-manual on the 5.0.3 download page
Installed X11 completely
Installed tcltc packages from the 5.0.3 download page, tcltk package of current Cygwin release was not installed.
Installed GRASS 5.0.3 according to install manual.

Started GRASS, textmode and filled-out the form about the project.
Then GRASS started
But that was it....when I use tcltkgrass& I get a bunch of errors

Via mailinglist I got these commands to try:

$ /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe  -multiwindow  -clipboard &

worked fine, bunch of text running by in the bash-shell

(Cygwin/X Server appeared in the system tray)

$ grass5
text mode
selected the project, esc, enter

grass prompt appeared

d.mon x1

Then errors appeared again:
Can't bind to socket; already in use?
 No socket to connect to for monitor <x1>.
 Problem selecting x1. Will try once more
 No socket to connect to for monitor <x1>.

Whatever I try, it will not start.

The last two weeks I have tried (and failed) 5 times installing the cygwin/grass5.0 system.
I even tried to install the complete cygwin packages (except tcltk) with grass5.
I then see a window starting up, but exiting with errors.

Does anyone know this kind of problem and what to do to get it working properly?

Best regards,
Cees van der Mark,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands