[GRASSLIST:4270] Re: importing canadian dem -> dted data

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Aug 30 02:15:31 EDT 2004

On 8/29/04 7:47 PM, "Peter Sprague" <peter_sprague at mac.com> wrote:

> Ian,
>
> I am attempting to import DEMs of Columbia Valley, BC.  The data is
> .75' resolution, 1201X1201pts, ascii DTED data.  I have successfully
> imported some test data from US dems to MACDEM, but can't import into
> GRASS.  "file not available" with r.in.dted.

I'm not sure why you get this error. Sounds like the path or file name is
typed wrong.

> With r.in.gdal, the error
> code is "usr/lib/??.lib does not exist.

This sounds like you don't have libgdal installed or installed correctly. If
you are using OSX, use Lorenzo Moretti's binary package. On this side of the
Atlantic, I am providing a fast mirror for Lorenzo's package
<www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/grass.htm>. Make sure you install the
libraries first. These include gdal, tcltk (for x11), and several other
needed libs. They come in the complete package or separately.

 Exported a PGM file from
> MACDEM of dems with r.in.pgm - imported 100% as "test_dem".  Nothing
> shows up on x0 monitor.

Use g.region to set the region to match the map you just imported. (You're
monitor is displaying a different part of the world than the part with your
map.) Then display it. Note, that if you exported the file as a PGM, it
needs to be imported into an xy location because it doesn't have any
georeferencing information along with it.

> The end result I'm working towards is:
> tiled VRML of 3D terrain visualizations;
> delivered via java as a PPGIS where citizens provide me with
> georeferenced environmental impact data over the web;
> analyze for regional cumulative environmental impacts.

Sounds like you should take a look at UMN mapserver (link from my web site).

Hope this helps

Michael Barton
C. Michael Barton, Professor
School of Human Diversity and Social Change
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA