[GRASSLIST:5136] Re: no display!

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Dec 13 01:45:13 EST 2004

I recommend you try the Mac OSX version developed by Lorenzo Moretti
<http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/>. Once you've looked at it and read
the documentation, there are links to faster download mirrors (my site is
the US mirror <http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/grass.htm>)

You will need to install the libraries first. I'd then install GRASS 5.4 and
GRASS 5.7 cvs (the 5.7.0 'stable' version is very out of date and the 'cvs'
version runs much better). I think that this is easiest way to install GRASS
and is up-to-date with a pretty current version. The latter is especially
important for GRASS 5.7 as it is being improved rapidly. This version works
very well on Mac OSX (and it's free).

Let me know how it goes.

Michael Barton

On 12/12/04 4:59 PM, "Paul Shapley" <p.shapley at fsmail.net> wrote:

> I'm new to GRASS GIS. I've downloaded the OpenOSX version for Mac OS 10.3 and
> got it running, but am unable to get a display. The error i'm getting is:
>
> Error: channel "console1" wasn't open for writing
>
> I've tried opening them via 'Display' then 'Start Displays x0' still no luck,
> the x0 display flashes into view for a split second only. Here is the log
> file.
>
> channel "console1" wasn't opened for writing
> channel "console1" wasn't opened for writing
>     while executing
> "exec g.region -d >@stdout 2>@stdout"
>     ("eval" body line 1)
>     invoked from within
> "eval "exec $cmd >@stdout 2>@stdout""
>     (procedure "Dm::execute" line 12)
>     invoked from within
> "Dm::execute $cmd "
>     (procedure "Dm::displayall" line 4)
>     invoked from within
> "Dm::displayall"
>     ("uplevel" body line 1)
>     invoked from within
> "uplevel \#0 $cmd"
>     (procedure "Button::_release" line 18)
>     invoked from within
> "Button::_release .mainframe.topf.tb0.bbox1.b1"
>     (command bound to event)
>
> Can anyone help a unix 'newbie' get some kind of display of data.
>
> Many Thanks

PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402