[GRASSLIST:5142] importing text with v.label

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Mon Dec 13 15:58:47 EST 2004

I am looking for some advice as to how I should handle text that occurs
in a vector layers of a "home grown" GIS that I am moving into GRASS.
The vector lines, points and polygons were no trouble. I was able to
write a short awk script that parsed an ascii file from the old GIS
into the format that GRASS could read with v.in.ascii. However, I am a
bit puzzled as how to handle text that the old GIS used for things like
naming roads, naming experiments, etc. In a way of background this
original GIS was based on a CAD system, so it is a quasi drawing
program with its roots in dxf layers. The ascii files from the old GIS
contain labeling information about each geographic object, including
the text font, size, orientation and color!

My question therefor is this: In a GRASS world, at what point does text
info belong in a database and at what point does it belong as a label?
It looks as if v.label is designed for this kind of thing, but having
never used it I thought I'd throw this out before for list reflection
before I dumped several hours into it.

Thanks in advance for the advice,

Kirk R. Wythers
Dept. of Forest Resources