[GRASSLIST:2436] Re: Bug?? v.shape.register and qgis question

Radim Blazek blazek at itc.it
Mon Feb 2 08:11:51 EST 2004

On Monday 02 February 2004 12:24, francesco.pirotti at unipd.it wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> Got a point on dealing with shape files:
> When v.shape.register is used, it registers a shape file with its full name
> (eg. myfile.shp)  but when I try to paint it on the monitor (using d.m) it
> gives me the following error:
>
> Illegal vector map name .... Character <.> no allowed.
> Map name not SQL compiant
>
> Of course it does not like the dot (.) part in the "myfile.shp" but looks
> like it is not possible to register a shape without its full name (dot (.)
> included).  Is there a way to get around this?
>
> I am using the CVS version of 5.7....

You can:
1) simply rename the directory vector/myfile.shp to vector/myfile_shp
2) register the shapefile in v.format (GUI)
3) create vector/myfile_shp/head and vector/myfile_shp/ in text editor and run v.build

> ______________
> This one's for Radim, on qgis:
> Are GRASS files read by Qgis?  I compiled Qgis with all the libgrass and
> libgrass++ but the program seems to read shapes and postGIS files.  Is
> GRASS somewhere?

I created QGIS version which supports GRASS (using QGIS 0.9) available here:
http://mpa.itc.it/radim/qgis/qgis-0.0.9-grass0.4.tar.gz
GRASS support was not integrated to official distribution of QGIS, because
QGIS developers decided to introduce a new interface for extensions like GRASS
(data provider). This interface is now ready, and I want to update my version
to use that but I am also considering to add GRASS vectors to OGR.

BTW, recently, we have successfully compiled QGIS with GRASS support on iPAQ:
http://mpa.itc.it/radim/qgis/ipaq1.png
http://mpa.itc.it/radim/qgis/ipaq2.png

Radim