[GRASSLIST:2457] Re: gdal and hdf

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Feb 3 23:09:39 EST 2004

Ian Macmillan wrote:

> Hi all, sorry to be pestering the list lately, every time I think I get it all,
> I realize just how big the mountain of information is that I don't understand.
>
> Here's my problem, I downloaded some aster dems from the EOS data gateway.  It
> comes in HDF-EOS format, and obviously my r.in.gdal (version 1.1.7 I believe)
> can not read it (I am running 5.0.0 on mac os 10.2.8).  I would like to be able
> to import this data into GRASS, however it seems very non intuitive to a mac
> user like me (I installed GRASS with the openosx cd).  I have read and reread
> the mail archives and tutorials, as well as several other web sources, but I
> still just don't get how I can do this.  It seems to me that I need to update
> gdal to 1.1.9 (it looks like it handles hdf 4.x and hdf-eos files), and then I
> should be ok, but how do I do this?  I have downloaded the binaries from
> remotesensing.org. and it is sitting on my desktop staring at me.  Now what?
>
> Can I just update gdal without having to recompile grass?
> How do I update gdal?

Does r.in.gdal use a shared GDAL library (e.g. libgdal.1.1.dylib) or a
static library (e.g. libgdal.a)? If you can't find a likely .dylib
file (in e.g. /sw/lib, /usr/local/lib, /System/Libraries etc), it's
probably using a static library. If you can find a likely .dylib file,
try renaming it; if r.in.gdal stops working, it's using the .dylib
file.

If it's a shared library, you should be able to just replace the
existing library with the new version. If it's a static library, you
need to re-compile GRASS.

> If I need to recompile grass, how do I do that on osx?

See the INSTALL file which is included in the top-level directory of
the GRASS source distribution, and also available at:

	http://grass.itc.it/grass5/source/INSTALL

Note: On MacOSX, r.in.gdal requires the use of the --with-gdal
configure switch.