[GRASSLIST:2488] Re: gdal and hdf

Ian Macmillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Thu Feb 5 19:59:47 EST 2004

Hi all, thanks so much for your help on the subject.  I think that I finally
have gdal updated to 1.1.9!  I ran gdalinfo on my aster dem, and it outputs all
the relevant info about the file.  Now my problem is that I can't actually
import the DEM into grass.  Here is the error message I get when I run
r.in.gdal (it is similar to an error message already described, except I can't
get the file read in at all).

GRASS 5.0.0 > r.in.gdal input=ASTER_DEM20020702133750.hdf output=aster1
ERROR 6: Unable to load PROJ.4 library (libproj.so), creation of
OGRCoordinateTransformation failed.
ERROR 6: Unable to load PROJ.4 library (libproj.so), creation of
OGRCoordinateTransformation failed.
ERROR 6: Unable to load PROJ.4 library (libproj.so), creation of
OGRCoordinateTransformation failed.
ERROR 6: Unable to load PROJ.4 library (libproj.so), creation of
OGRCoordinateTransformation failed.
dyld: r.in.gdal Undefined symbols:
r.in.gdal undefined reference to _deflateInit_ expected to be defined in
/usr/local/lib/libgdal.1.1.dylib
Trace/BPT trap

Any ideas?  I have tried importing into a latlong location and two different
(adjacent) utm locations.  I am not sure why, but the data is definitely
located in zone 12, but the metadata says that the files are in zone 13, not
sure if this is relevant or not.

I looked at the files with HDFLook (thanks for the help with that too), and they
look like DEMs, but I really need to use them in GRASS.

Looking forward to your advice.

-ian