[GRASSLIST:2579] Re: problem dependency in GRASS 5.3 compilation

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Thu Feb 12 14:53:17 EST 2004

Michael,

I went round and round trying to figure out what to install with fink
and what to simply compile myself. In the end I installed most all the
dependencies needed with fink (with the exception of gdal and grass
itself... those I use cvs and compile source the old fashioned way).

There were some other binaries for OS X that were posted on the grass
list (and since there were no reports of errors, I let the binaries
that I was working on drop). It my be more expedient for your student
to use those binaries. I just checked my mailboxes and doesn't look
like I saved the link. Perhaps Scott has them, or someone else on the
list (I remember that Scott's draft OS X help page had a spot to put
links to binaries http://grass.itc.it/macgrass/macgrass.html).

Let me know if you need me to pick up the binaries that I was working
on (and figure out how to remove the fink dependencies).

Kirk

On Feb 12, 2004, at 12:38 PM, Michael Barton wrote:

> Scott and Kirk,
>
> I have a student trying to install GRASS 5.3 using the binaries you
> and Kirk put up, packaged TclTk binaries, and NOT using fink. (I like
> fink a lot, but not everyone should have to install it just to use
> GRASS).
>
> It turns out that these binaries have a fink dependency that needs to
> be removed. Here is the result of trying start GRASS 5.3 without fink.
>
> [Steven-Schmichs-Computer:~] stevensc% /usr/local/bin/grass53
> dyld: /usr/local/grass53/etc/lock can't open library:
> /sw/lib/libintl.1.dylib  (
> No such file or directory, errno = 2)
> /usr/local/grass53/etc/Init.sh: line 145:   599 Trace/BPT trap
>  "$ETC/lo
> ck" "$lockfile" $$
> Unable to properly access /Users/stevensc/.gislock5
> Please notify system personel.
>
> The student just put fink on the computer and GRASS seems to be fine.
>
> Michael
> Michael Barton, Professor & Curator
> Department of Anthropology
> Arizona State University
> Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
> USA
>
> voice: 480-965-6262; fax: 480-965-7671
Kirk R. Wythers	                                     tel: 612.625.2261
Dept. of Forest Resources                 fax: 612.625.5212
University of Minnesota      email: kwythers at umn.edu