[GRASSLIST:2685] Re: extracting vector attributes

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Feb 19 04:19:27 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 10:53:58AM -0500, Christopher Fonnesbeck wrote:
> I am trying to determine the area of each polygon in a layer, and store
> this statistic as a column in the attribute table (my vector attributes
> are stored in MySQL). There appears to be no vector function in the
> reference manual that provide this function, but I'm sure there must be
> something that does this. Please point me in the right direction.

v.to.db should do the job:
option=string
    Uploaded value: cat - insert new row for each category if doesn't exist yet area - area size
length - line length
count - number of features for each category
coor - point coordinates
query - result of a database query for all records of the geometry (or geometries) from table specified by 'qfield' option

http://grass.itc.it/grass51/manuals/html57_user/v.to.db.html

Markus