[GRASSLIST:2188] Re: r.in.gdal compile failure

David Orme d.orme at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jan 12 10:43:19 EST 2004

Hi everyone,

To answer my own post: I had r.in.gdal failing to compile because it
failed to find libtiff and libpng. It turned out that I hadn't
installed libpng properly (thanks to William K for notes on that and
building libjpeg.dylib).

For libtiff, I had to edit [tiffsrc]/libtiff/Makefile.in - the shared
library building command has the install_name hardcoded without a path
(lines 216-218):

> DARWINdso: ${OBJS}
>         ${CC} -dynamiclib -undefined error \
>           -install_name libtiff. at DSOSUF@ \

I changed this to:

> DARWINdso: ${OBJS}
>         ${CC} -dynamiclib -undefined error \
>           -install_name /usr/local/lib/libtiff. at DSOSUF@ \

and then recompiled gdal. Now the otool listing shows paths for all the
shared libraries:

> bash-2.05a$ otool -L /usr/local/lib/libgdal.dylib
> /usr/local/lib/libgdal.dylib:
>         /usr/local/lib/libgdal.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0,
> current version 3.9.0)
>         /usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0,
> current version 5.0.0)
>         /usr/local/lib/libdl.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
> current version 1.0.0)
>         /usr/local/lib/libodbc.1.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0,
> current version 2.0.0)
>         /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib (compatibility version 63.0.0,
> current version 63.0.0)
>         /usr/local/lib/libtiff.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0,
> current version 0.0.0)
>         /usr/local/lib/libpng.3.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0,
> current version 3.0.0)
>         /usr/lib/libz.1.1.3.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
> current version 1.1.3)
>         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
> current version 63.0.0)

If this is total gibberish or likely to cause problems down the line,
can someone please tell me!

Cheers,
David