[GRASSLIST:2193] Re: r.in.gdal compile failure

William K woklist at charter.net
Mon Jan 12 12:54:21 EST 2004

That's strange.  I didn't have to do this to libtiff to build gdal (tho
I do fix the symlinks - the makefile creates a libtiff.so symlink,
oops).  Checking with otool, I see libgdal doesn't have a path for
libtiff, but I've successfully imported TIFFs in GRASS with gdal.

I notice that you aren't using libgeotiff with gdal.  The docs are
kinda unclear if TIFF is supported with just libtiff, or if gdal needs
geotiff as well.  You certainly need it if you want to import
georeferenced tiffs.

On Jan 12, 2004, at 9:43 AM, David Orme wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> To answer my own post: I had r.in.gdal failing to compile because it
> failed to find libtiff and libpng. It turned out that I hadn't
> installed libpng properly (thanks to William K for notes on that and
> building libjpeg.dylib).
>
> For libtiff, I had to edit [tiffsrc]/libtiff/Makefile.in - the shared
> library building command has the install_name hardcoded without a path
> (lines 216-218):
>

>> DARWINdso: ${OBJS}
>>         ${CC} -dynamiclib -undefined error \
>>           -install_name libtiff. at DSOSUF@ \
>
> I changed this to:
>
>> DARWINdso: ${OBJS}
>>         ${CC} -dynamiclib -undefined error \
>>           -install_name /usr/local/lib/libtiff. at DSOSUF@ \
>

> and then recompiled gdal. Now the otool listing shows paths for all
> the shared libraries:
>
>> bash-2.05a$ otool -L /usr/local/lib/libgdal.dylib
>> /usr/local/lib/libgdal.dylib:
>>         /usr/local/lib/libgdal.1.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0,
>> current version 3.9.0)
>>         /usr/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0,
>> current version 5.0.0)
>>         /usr/local/lib/libdl.1.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
>> current version 1.0.0)
>>         /usr/local/lib/libodbc.1.dylib (compatibility version 2.0.0,
>> current version 2.0.0)
>>         /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib (compatibility version
>> 63.0.0, current version 63.0.0)
>>         /usr/local/lib/libtiff.dylib (compatibility version 0.0.0,
>> current version 0.0.0)
>>         /usr/local/lib/libpng.3.dylib (compatibility version 3.0.0,
>> current version 3.0.0)
>>         /usr/lib/libz.1.1.3.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
>> current version 1.1.3)
>>         /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
>> current version 63.0.0)
>
> If this is total gibberish or likely to cause problems down the line,
> can someone please tell me!

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

"Those people who most want to rule people are, ipso-facto, those least
suited to do it."

- A rule of the universe, from the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy