[GRASSLIST:2314] Re: zoom to fill GRASS monitor

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jan 21 22:23:29 EST 2004

Jason Horn wrote:

> Thanks.  Setting the aspect ration was what I was thinking too.  Only
> problem is, my data are lat-lon, so that's not so easy since polar
> coordinates do not measure units of distance.

That shouldn't matter. Most of GRASS doesn't care whether the units
are metres, feet, degrees, micro-fathoms or whatever; they're just
units.

> I'll have to re-project.
>   I'd be interested to see if any one else comes up with a different
> idea though.

Unlikely. d.rast (etc) positions and scales the image such that:

a) one dimension fills the monitor,
b) the other dimension is no larger than the monitor, and
c) the scale factor is the same for both dimensions.

If the current region has an aspect ratio of W:H, the image which is
drawn on the monitor will also have an aspect ratio of W:H, and unless
the monitor window also has an aspect ratio of W:H, you will get two
blank bands, either top/bottom or left/right.