[GRASSLIST:2327] Re: GIS ERROR: error while writing to temp file: No such file or directory

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Thu Jan 22 09:13:48 EST 2004

Edmund Blackadder wrote:

> > Some questions:
> >
> > 1. Does the temporary files directory (.../.tmp/<hostname>) exist?
>
> There is a .tmp dir that gets created in the right place when i run
> i.rectify under . And there is a hostname dir inside it
>
> > 2. Do you have write permission for that directory?
>
> NO.. I do not have w  permission for .tmp/<hostname>

You need it.

> > 3. Are there any files in that directory for which you don't have
> > write permission?
> >
> > 4. Do you have write permission for the mapset directory?
>
> I do
>

> I changed the permissions recursively in the dir .tmp/<hostname>
>
> But the problem still exists. Then i checked the permissions of the
> pid-named file inside <hostname> while i.rectify was working. The
> pid-named file does not have write permissions

Odd. Is your umask set incorrectly? Type "umask" in the GRASS shell to
see the current setting; "typical" values are 002, 022, 027 or 077,
but the first digit should always be zero (otherwise you are denying
yourself access to the files which you create).

Also, that appears to contradict your statement about not having write
permission for the .../.tmp/<hostname> directory; if you didn't have
write permission, photo.rectify wouldn't be able to create the
temporary <pid>.<unique> file there.

> How can i fix that??This file disappears after rectification stops.

You don't actually need write permission for the temporary files which
are in use. However, a "stale" temporary file could cause problems
later. However, in light of the "No such file or directory" error, I
don't think that permissions on existing files are an issue here (that
would normally result in a "Permission denied" error).

Essentially, you should be the owner of your own mapset directories
(but not necessarily of the PERMANENT directory) and all files and
directories beneath them. All such files and directories should have
owner read and write permission, and the directories should also have
owner execute permission.

[Note: the GRASS startup won't let you select a mapset if you don't
own the directory, even if you have write permission for it.]

If you want to be able to create new mapsets, you also need write
permission for the location directories, and if you want to be able to
create new locations, you also need write permission for the database
directory.

For a single-user system, you may as well just run (as root):

	chown -R your_username /path/to/database
	chmod -R u=rwX /path/to/database

so that you own and have full permissions on everything within the
database directory.