[GRASSLIST:3820] Re: openOSX again

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Wed Jul 7 02:13:32 EDT 2004

I am sorry to hear of your bad experience with openOSX. I don't know
anything about their situation except that they don't seem to have kept
up with current GRASS versions. I tried one of their CD's about 9
month's ago. It installed very easily and worked pretty much OK, but
there were some minor problems.

Now, I'd suggest that the easiest way to get a very up-to-date version
of GRASS is by installing the packages provided by Lorenzo Moretti. His
site is located at <http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/> and has
all the information you need to install these simple, double-click
packages. However, I'd download the packages from one of the fast
mirrors.

  	EUROPE  	http://rea.ei.jrc.it/netshare/kaplan/grass_mirror/  (Jed O.
Kaplan @ JRC)
   	USA 	http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton/files/grass_osx/ (my site)

Mine is a few days out of date with Lorenzo's due to holidays here. But
I will try to catch up by the end of the week. Then I'll be gone for a
few weeks.

These packages are FREE and they work VERY well (though see Lorenzo's
note about the July 1 Libraries).

Best of luck.

Michael Barton

On Jul 6, 2004, at 10:01 PM, Multiple recipients of list wrote:

> I have bought a copy of  Grass as provided by openOSX.com. After a
> long period of time the CDs (they have sent two and charged two)
> arrived but after installing there is no application "Grass" on my
> hardrive. I could see it being installed during installation but
> disappeared right before installation was finished. None of the
> provided files could be opened!
>
> I contacted openOSX.com by email but never got any support nor even a
> single reply to all my emails. Has that dubious company vanished from
> the market or does anyone know how to get openOSX Grass running?
>
> I have Panter installed and X11 as well…
>
> Andreas / Switzerland

C. Michael Barton, Professor
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA