[GRASSLIST:3861] Re: NVIZ crash in 5.3 on Mandrake

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Jul 9 13:05:46 EDT 2004

Maciek Sieczka wrote:

> > The 5.7 NVIZ works fine on Mandrake 10 official.
>
> I've just tried the latest CVS and the NVIZ fails as usuall.
> Grass 5.7 on my Mdk 10 Official starts but "nviz -q" gives:
>
> (...)
> Adding panels from
> /usr/local/grass5.7.cvs-i686-pc-linux-gnu-05_07_2004/etc/nviz2.2/scripts
> Nv_(panels)
> toplevel made
> child killed: segmentation violation

For the record, there are three factors which are known to have a
significant effect on whether NVIZ crashes:

1. Tcl/Tk 8.4 is far more likely to result in crashes than other
versions. There are some significant differences between 8.3.x and
8.4, and the Togl widget (OpenGL canvas for Tcl/Tk) hasn't been
updated for 8.4.

2. Running NVIZ on a platform other than that for which it was
compiled is unreliable. In this sense, "platform" means a specific
version of a specific distribution, e.g. "RedHat 9.0".

3. In some cases, linking NVWISH2.2 with an explicit -lpthread switch
has been known to eliminate crashes.