[GRASSLIST:4015] Re: Is Grass what I need?

francesco francesco.pirotti at unipd.it
Sat Jul 24 06:24:02 EDT 2004

Hi Lawrence,

I am not a GRASS developer but an avid user of GRASS and other opensource
software.

I am just on the end-line of a project which might be  somewhat similar to
what you need.

I basically used GRASS to import and digitize vector data of boundaries and
locations, and I used PostgreSQL database to keep all the attributes
connected to the vector data thus having a valid database platform for the
possibility of reports and queries.
Mapserver  and phpPgAdmin were the "internet window" for clients who do not
have access to the main programs, providing read only access to the vector
data and read-write to the database attributes.

I had to do this to georeference archeological data which already had an
Access database full of information, with reports and all.   By selecting
an element in GRASS an internet browser pops up with the corresponding
database element, and by doing a query in the PostgreSQL database the
corresponding vector element is highlighted.  The same tasks can be done
using the Mapserver Web-GIS  as the viewer for GIS data.

I did run on some problems which might not be of any importance to you, but
did provide some pain (printing nice layouts is an herculean task, color
classification of vector elements takes a day... );

I would say that GIS is what you are looking for, and GRASS and  Mapserver
can provide you with the possibility, keeping in mind that you might have
to do some programming yourself.

If you need more details send me a mail.

Ciao
Francesco