[GRASSLIST:4014] Is Grass what I need?

Lawrence Strydom jls at midafrica.com
Sat Jul 24 04:45:47 EDT 2004

Hi List,

I am completely new to the world of GIS and would appreciate any input
 from you old and wise GIS users.

Basically what I need to do is create a map depicting a network of roads
in a large geographical area. ( about the size of France) I will not be
using any relief maps so it is 2D data only. Now the map must be
accessible through a web browser, the user will have to be able to click
and zoom in to the required area of the map and add data or read data
which was added by other users. The data will not alter the propperties of
the map in any way but will simply be text which referrences a specific
point on the road. Eg: If a section of the road is in need of a specific
type of repair, then the inspector needs to be able to through his mobile
device access the map on the internet, click on that section of the road
and enter the text that states the road conditions at that point into a
form. THe coordinator back at HQ should then be able to read this and take
action accordingly.
Just to make things a bit more interesting, all roads must be defined and
enterred in to a database against which reports can be run. Eg. a report
requesting the amount of potholes between town A and town B on route X.

As I said, I am not sure that I really need a GIS system to do this. If
anybody on this list has done anything simmilar or have any ideas, I would
love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance

--
Lawrence Strydom
Open Source Software Solutions Consultant
email: jls at midafrica.com
web: www.rpcdata.co.za
           www.midafrica.com
Tel: +27 (0)44 8770453