[GRASSLIST:3710] Re: gnu software for digitizing

Zbigniew Perski perski at us.edu.pl
Fri Jun 18 09:29:37 EDT 2004

> Hi
>
> I'm working with my pupils with GRASS (developping several DEMs) and they
> have problems because v.digit is not as friendly as is MapInfo (as a first
> module we worked with it)

I understand. I had the same problem this semester but finally my
students get familiar with v.digit. it just a problem of changing habits
common to win. There are some helpful arguments which I used:
1. GRASS is a free software so they can use it at home computers without
any restrictions
2. There are some much advanced things in GRASS comparing with mapinfo
like polygon topology (direct labeling of polygons) and some programs
which speeding up digitizing like e.g.: v.spag, v.trim

In my opinion, after a little training, digitizing in v.digit is much
faster than mapinfo since all menus are available via 3 buttons only

> Is possible to work whit another gnu-program that supports raster images and
> layers to digitize contours and export them (e.g. as *.dxf) into GRASS?.

Check OpenEV. from remotesensing.org There is an module for drawing but
I have never tried this.

Best regards

Zbigniew