[GRASSLIST:3717] First time user - OSX - questions

Steve Dorsey steve at dorseygraphics.com
Fri Jun 18 14:21:14 EDT 2004

Hello

  I am a GUI designer in San Jose, CA, and I am developing a DVD of mountain bike trails
which require maps. I have found a large collection of files at the USGS archives which may
come in handy for creation of 3D maps for illustrating some of my trails.

  I have a Dual 2GHz G5 which is running Mac OSX Panther 10.3.4 and X11. I installed Grass
GIS a while back and, after totally screwing up the settings, I decided to uninstall it and re-
install it to "start over". After following the uninstall directions, I was left with an un-usable
OS which would boot but not operate.

  I re-installed the OS and now I'm scared to install Grass GIS. I'd really like to take a look at
it, but I'm worried that I may mess the settings up again and be left with a useless Grass
install - if not an OS that needs to me re-re-installed.

  Questions:

Do I need to me a "Unix guru" command-line junkie to use this app? How much of the app is
driven by the command line?

My aim is to generate 3D maps. I think I remember seeing some screenshots of 3D
landscapes using Grass GIS. Is this possible, or should I look elsewhere for this feature?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance,