[GRASSLIST:3718] Re: First time user - OSX - questions

Ian MacMillan ian_macmillan at umail.ucsb.edu
Fri Jun 18 15:11:02 EDT 2004

While GRASS seems scary at first, it is quite workable once you get
over the initial hump of installing it.  Lorenzo Moretti has done a
great job making mac installation easy.  I highly suggest going to his
site here and downloading the two files you will need.  It is sometimes
hard to log on to his ftp site (only 15 users at a time allowed), but
it is worth the wait.

http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/

One has all the libraries, the other has GRASS 5.3.  I have had really
good luck with his packages so far.  5.3 is also a little more user
friendly, check out the Display manager, it is like a layers palette
(sort of) for Adobe Illustrator.

You might need to use the command line interface a little bit, but most
of what you want to do should be possible via the GUI.  I have made
tons of 3D maps on various macs (dual G4s, single G4s,  etc.) and it is
very easy once you get the hang of it.  NVIZ is the program within
GRASS that makes those maps, and it is very simple to use.

Good luck,
Ian