[GRASSLIST:3770] unable to initialize GDAL bridge

Grant Yip yip at umail.ucsb.edu
Mon Jun 28 17:24:48 EDT 2004

Hi, I'm a grass beginner and am running into a problem with
r.in.gdal.  Whenever I try to import a file, I receive the following error:

GBBridgeInitialize() failed to find an suitable GDAL .DLL/.so file.
The following filenames were searched for:
   o libgdal.1.1.so
   o gdal.1.0.so
   o gdal.so.1.0
   o libgdal.so.1

The following locations were searched:
   o /usr/local/grass53/lib
   o System default locations.

ERROR: Unable to initialize GDAL bridge (check libgdal
        installation/LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable).
mail: not found

I am running Grass53 in Cygwin in Windows XP Pro.  The version of GDAL that
I built from source is 1.2.1.  Thanks in advance.

Grant

Grant Yip
Department of Geological Sciences
Webb Hall - Building 526