[GRASSLIST:3780] Re: Retrieving point coordinates in GRASS5.7.0

Hamish hamish_nospam at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 11:27:57 EDT 2004

> I'd like to find a way to get the coordinates of some points
> satisfying a given (set of) WHERE constraint(s).

> Alternate problem :
> given one point vector map, I'd like to output the points coordinate
> with the values of some attributes.

> The quick solution would be a v.extract,

> but then I'd have to select the points one by one with the
> mouse to get the coordinates, that's gonna be timeconsuming,
> and not very portable...

v.extract, then:

Perhaps v.out.ascii with no output option (or maybe 'output=-') might be
the answer. i.e. output to stdout a stream of data that could be
piped through a UNIX command line tool and then redirected to a file.

I touched on this a little while ago, but managed to do what I needed &
& moved on to other things.

The idea was to maybe add a type=centroid,point,verticies option to
v.out.ascii.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/3851
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gis.grass.devel/3954

It sort of confuses the purpose of v.out.ascii though (export to a
formatted ASCII file with some topology versus exporting raw
coordinates). Both are useful; from a code maintainence point of view
putting them in one module is better. From a user/confusion point
of view, separating them into two modules makes more sense.
?

Hamish