[GRASSLIST:2800] Re: error with grass5.7

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Mar 2 04:28:54 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 12:12:15PM +0000, Paul Kelly wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, [iso-8859-1] hamdi ines wrote:
>
> > hello,
> > Markus i don't understand your answer because it concerns only the ogr2ogr error, but don't answer me how resolv the problem with d.m, d.vect grass command error, and what signify bus error.
> >
> The idea is that many GRASS 5.7 modules depend on GDAL/OGR. The way the
> build system is set up now many modules that don't even use it are linked
> against the GDAL shared library as a consequence of it sometimes being
> used by the internal GRASS gproj library (I suspect this is the case with
> ps.map, which is run by d.m).
>
> In addition to updating to a new version I would also check that your current
> GDAL/OGR is installed properly, especially that the libraries are in a location
> specified by your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable or in
> /etc/ld.so.conf (run ldconfig after changing that).

It is important, when upgrading the GDAL/OGR lib to 1.2.0, to remove
properly the old files. In older versions of GDAL/OGR the library was
split into several files (gdal.a, ogr.a, ...). Clean off these files
first, the compile/install the new version (libgdal.so....), then
reconfigure/recompile GRASS (as you are working with source code) to be sure
that it picks up the new library.

I have upgraded GDAL/OGR on grass.itc.it to the latest version, the
precompiled Linux binaries are linked to that now:
http://grass.itc.it/grass51/binary/linux/

> But there is a good chance updating and re-installing your GDAL/OGR will
> fix the problem and that is why Markus suggested doing that before you are
> sure it's a GRASS problem that someone will take the time to look into
> further.
>
> Paul

Markus