[GRASSLIST:2871] Re: Roussilhe Oblique Stereographic

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Mar 8 05:56:31 EST 2004

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 03:29:44PM +0000, Paul Kelly wrote:
> Hello
>
> Morten Hulden wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 werchowyna at pf.pl wrote:
> >
> > > I need to make a mapset in a projection called Roussilhe Projection (alias
> > > Quasi-Stereographic) on the Krassovsky ellipsoid, modified Pulkovo 1942
> > > datum different than those included in libproj but the datum os not an issue
> > > here, I solved it myself
> > >
> > > the complete system (ellipsoid, datum and projection) is an old, the most
> > > popular and widely used system in Poland (called "System 1965" ("Uklad 1965"
> > > in Polish))
> > >
> > > the issue is the projection only - there is no projection called like it in
> > > Grass
> > >
> > > notice: the projection name is my literal translation from Polish; I'm not
> > > sure what is the proper name in English though I have met some sound similar
> > >
> > > any ideas how to apply this projection in Grass?
> >
> > I have:
> >
> > PROJ_INFO
> >
> > name: Transverse Mercator
> > datum: S-42
> > towgs84: 33.4,-146.6,-76.3,-0.359,-0.053,0.844,-0.84
> > proj: tmerc
>
> tmerc is only used in zone V in Poland; for the other 4 zones it should
> be
> proj: stere
> Plenty of information at
> http://crs.ifag.de/country_select.php?country=PL
>
> If you have GRASS 5.7 it is much easier to set up projections: try
> g.proj -c proj4='+init=epsg:2171' location=poland1
> g.proj -c proj4='+init=epsg:2172' location=poland2
>
> etc. to create new locations with these projections. Should work if you
> have PROJ.4 and GDAL installed properly.
>
> Paul

Based in this nice feature (thanks, Paul!) I have made a new
script:

Script to create a new LOCATION from EPSG code
Usage:
   make_location_epsg_g57.sh epsg newlocation_name [GISDBASE]

       epsg: EPSG code number of projection (see /usr/local/share/proj/epsg)
       newlocation_name: new location to be created
       GISDBASE: full path to GRASS database directory (optional)
                 e.g. /ssi0/ssi/neteler/grassdata

You have to run it from *outside* GRASS.

Example:

  make_location_epsg_g57.sh  2171 poland1

does the same outside GRASS 5.7 as above 'g.proj' command line
from inside a GRASS location.

Fetch it here:

 http://mpa.itc.it/grasstutor/scripts/make_location_epsg_g57.sh

Cheers