[GRASSLIST:3442] Re: [Freegis-list] GRASS & FreeGIS mentioned in c't (German computer magazine)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed May 19 05:33:00 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 07:54:17PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> GRASS and FreeGIS have been favourably mentioned
> in the current edition of the German Computer magazine c't.
> (http://www.heise.de/ct/04/10/006/)

The article also mentions another Free Software
I failed to mention, which I want to remedy now:
It is called deegree.
Note that deegree was written in Java and it is not secured
that it runs on completely Free Software systems.
In most settings it requires proprietary Java software.

To help Free Software we must avoid the Java-Trap:
        http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/java-trap.html

> Authors: Antje Grande, Birgit Kraus, Dorothee Wiegand
> Title: Standortbestimmung
> c't 10/2004, pages 84-89
>
> On page 88 on the bottom left:
> 	An overview about Free GIS-Software is maintained
> 	by Intevation a Company located in Osnabrück [10].
> 	The Free "Geographic Resources Analyses Support System" (GRASS)
> 	is wide spread [11].

On page 89:
        OGC-Web-Service-Spezifikationen stellt das Projekt deegree
	als freie Software zur Verfügung [14].

Translation:
	The deegree project offers OCG-Web-Service-Specifications
	as Free Software [14].

> Links:
>         [10] http://freegis.org/
>         [11] http://grass.itc.it
          [14] http://deegree.sourceforge.net

Experts for complex webmapping! In business since 1999:
	http://intevation.net/services/gis/webmapping.en.html
Pay for FreeGIS if you like it: http://freegis.org/about-paying.en.html