[GRASSLIST:3475] authentication type

Sabine Grabner csab7771 at uibk.ac.at
Mon May 24 10:00:30 EDT 2004

hello,

when i did some exercises to get data from my postgresql database i had the
following line in my pg_hba.conf

host    all         postgres    IP     IP     trust

this was only for test-purposes on my local machine. the next step would be to
change 'trust', as this is not a clever solution. but 'trust' seems to be the
only authentication type working as i got this message:

DBMI-Postgres driver error:
cannot get user/password

GRASS 5.7.-cvs:~/diss/grassdata > v.in.db driver=pg    \
  database="host=IP,dbname=test,user=postgres" table=station x="x(location)" \
  y="y(location)" z="z(location)"  key=station_id output=meteostatio
WARNING: Cannot open database 'host=IP,dbname=test,user=postgres'
ERROR: Cannot open database $GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/dbf/ by driver
       dbf

from the tutorial i got the following message:
#create new PostgreSQL user (warning, we don't use a passowrd here!)

but who can work with this recommendation?

does anyone have an advice?

thanks a lot, sabine