[GRASSLIST:3531] Re: Configuration error

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri May 28 10:00:39 EDT 2004

temiz wrote:

> when I was trying to install grass5.3, I encountered such
> a problem in ./configure:

> checking for glBegin in -lGL... no
> checking for glBegin in -lGL... no
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate OpenGL library.

Look in config.log for related error messages.

If it says "cannot find -GL" both times, either you don't have
libGL.so (or libGL.a), or it cannot find it.

OTOH, If you get a different error message (e.g. "undefined symbol"),
then you have an OpenGL library, but it isn't compatible with your
system.

If you have libGL.so in /usr/local/lib, add the configure switch:

	--with-opengl-libs=/usr/local/lib

If you don't have libGL.so, but do have e.g. libGL.so.1, then you need
to install the appropriate developement package (e.g. mesa-devel).

If you don't have anything resembling libGL.*, install it from your OS
CD. I have never seen a Linux distribution which didn't have an OpenGL
implementation (either Mesa, or the one included with XFree86 4.x).