[GRASSLIST:3534] which version should be used?

Anja Drews anja.drews at uni-oldenburg.de
Fri May 28 11:18:04 EDT 2004

Dear list,

I would like to integrate GRASS at the end of our (nearly or in the near
future) operational running processing chain of Meteosat-7 and
Meteosat-8 data. Which GRASS version would you suggest for an
application like this? The stable version 5.02/3 or the test version 5.3
which might have more features that could be useful for meteorological
data analyses? I have nearly no expierience with GRASS. I used other GIS
packages before and  so I am still a GRASS greenhorn.  So I have no idea
how evident the differences between 5.0 and 5.3 are.
Linux client-server application also mean a constant fight for me.  Our
work stations run on Suse Linux 8.2 and the server runs on a debian version.
The satellite data will not be the input data source. We have a very a
distributed system that delivers all kinds of data. The aim is to merge
everything in GRASS. We intend also to add features to GRASS that will
be specific for our applications.
I hope you can help me with a good advice or a vote.

Best regards,
Anja