[GRASSLIST:3537] Re: which version should be used?

Fri May 28 13:31:02 EDT 2004

Hello Anja,

On Friday 28 May 2004 17:18, Anja Drews wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I would like to integrate GRASS at the end of our (nearly or in the near
> future) operational running processing chain of Meteosat-7 and
> Meteosat-8 data. Which GRASS version would you suggest for an
> application like this? The stable version 5.02/3 or the test version 5.3
> which might have more features that could be useful for meteorological
> data analyses? I have nearly no expierience with GRASS. I used other GIS

5.3.0 is testing but soon will become stable 5.4.0. So if you wait some time
you can go straight to the new stable rather than using a possibly buggy
version - but nevertheless 5.3.0 is in my experiences reliable enough for
daily usage.  And if you encounter a bug, please report it and it will soon
be fixed in the 5.4.0 version.

BTW you can install both GRASS version on your system and use both for the
same database. If 5.0.3 lacks features you need, just start 5.3.0 and give it
a try - if this one is too buggy for your purpose swap back to 5.0.3.

> packages before and  so I am still a GRASS greenhorn.  So I have no idea
> how evident the differences between 5.0 and 5.3 are.

have a look at the announcement
http://grass.itc.it/announces/announce_grass530.html

Unfortunately I am not experienced in meteorological data analysis hence I
have no idea which GRASS modules might be useful.

hope you enjoy GRASS, regards Martin