[GRASSLIST:3535] Re: GRASSLIST digest 1391

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Fri May 28 01:40:42 EDT 2004

Thomas,

I agree 100% with you about this. That's why I took on the task of
rewriting the GUI this year. It wasn't particularly complex
technically, mainly grunt work that someone just needed to sit down and
do. I started with GRASS 5.3. Amazingly, I found when I was done that I
had added 200 commands to the GUI that had been in GRASS but only
available from the command line--nearly doubling the items in the
menus. Then I did the same for GRASS 5.7, which didn't have an
overarching GUI at all at the time. This has made a big difference for
me--and my students. The near-term plan is to move GRASS 5.7 to a Qt
GUI environment (I believe that Radim Blazik is working on it
currently). That environment will look like QGIS more or less
<http://qgis.org/>. This would be great and I have offered to help if I
can. The more people to work on it, the better it will be. The main
problem is that the number of real developers is still quite
small--especially for such a powerful and complex program. Fortunately,
they are very dedicated and appear not to sleep much.

The installation issue still remains. It is helped by people who
regularly compile binaries for various platforms and provide them to
the user community. The best (IMHO) is by Lorenzo Moretti for the Mac
OSX <http://wwwamb.bologna.enea.it/forgrass/>. It does a double click
install and provides all the needed libraries. It is very nearly like a
commercial application in terms of ease. I think something similar
needs to be done for Windows users and major Linux platforms. Again, it
just needs people to take this on.

Your interest and that of others, if followed up by contributions to
the development and testing program will help to realize your wish
expressed below. Having used several GIS programs over the years, I am
convinced that this is close to (if not THE) most complete, versatile,
powerful, and **STABLE** GIS system available--commercial or otherwise.

Michael Barton
C. Michael Barton, Professor
School of Human Origins, Cultures, & Societies
PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402
USA