[GRASSLIST:4711] Re: v.out.ogr

dellp dellp at cableone.net
Thu Nov 4 10:53:38 EST 2004

> I am using Grass57 to convert some raster maps to vector. I used the
> r.to.vect command to generate some polygons from one of the categories
> in a raster layer. I then wanted to export these polys to a shapefile
> to clean them up in another software package. For some reason
> v.out.ogr runs very slowly when exporting areas and after a while
> stops processing altogether. No such problems when exporting area
> boundaries, but I would really like to create a polygon shapefile. Has
> anyone seen this problem before? Any suggestions for an alternative
> way to get the data out of Grass and into a shapefile?

You might try v.out.shape?

 v.out.shape map=vfile type=point,line,area mapset=PERMANENT cats=string
log=this

For large vector files v.prune is helpful. Ex.

 v.prune input=vfile output=vfile.prune thresh=1000
 cp vfile.prune vfile1

then for only polygons

 v.out.shape map=vfile1 type=area mapset=PERMANENT cats=string log=this

lp