[GRASSLIST:4764] Sampling Raster Map

Nathan Wales natedog_mo at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 11:08:34 EST 2004

I am trying to return the maximum and minimum elevations at specific
interverals from many points throughout the United States (10, 25, 50 miles).
I have not yet been able to find a way to solve this problem yet, and I'd
appreciate any suggestions. My current approach is using Lat/Long projection
and a list of sites that I imported from a spreadsheet. The v.circle would not
work as it is the Lat/Long projection, and the r.buffer creates a shape that
covers too much area. There is also the problem that the intervals overlap
with r.buffer.

I am relatively new to GRASS, and I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions for a
better way to approach this problem. Should I be trying to use a database,
rather than sites? Or a way that each space on the interveral circle and
sample the raster elevation? Then I could export it to a spreadsheet and use
the max/min functions.

By the way, I am currently using 5.3, but I might move to 5.7 if there is a
way to solve my problem.

Thanks!