[GRASSLIST:4892] Re: adding mile markers to curvy roads

David Mahoney mahoneyd at unbc.ca
Sun Nov 21 20:53:38 EST 2004

It seems to me I did this in GRASS 5.0 using r.cost and r.mapcalc. I
can't remember the exact sequence, but you set the pixel value of the
the roads to something equal to the cell resolution. Then you can use
r.cost to generate a map that shows the cumulative distances between
each cell and a input point, your starting point. Use r.mapcalc to
select out only the cells that are an even multiple of a mile, and
convert them to sites. Not a vector solution, such as is all the rage
now, but effective.

Dave