[GRASSLIST:4903] Re: adding mile markers to curvy roads

Dan Jacobson jidanni at jidanni.org
Mon Nov 22 23:14:50 EST 2004

To use Mr. Mahoney's, idea I must first convert vector maps to raster.
However, as the vector maps were made with v.in.dxf, they lack
categories. As v.to.rast says, "An empty raster map layer will also be
created if the vector map layer has not been assigned
category/attribute labels (e.g., through use of the v.digit program)."
However, the v.digit program is no place for Limited Edition brain me.
One might think some variation of v.out.ascii|sed s/$/1/|v.in.ascii
would give all my roads category 1, but of course there is no simple
way.  Odd how d.vect will show the roads, but that's all one can do.
I was able to get my roads into gnuplot with makefile
A=~/tmp/grassdata/dongshi/jidanni/dig_ascii
%.gp:$A/%
	perl -anwle 'print "$$F[1] $$F[0]" if /^ /' $? > $@
%.gnp:%.gp
	echo "plot '$?'"|nohup >&- gnuplot -persist
Maybe there or in GMT[version 3] I can proceed.
Probably in the end it will be the Xerox machine, ruler, and red pencil.