[GRASSLIST:4893] Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7.0 as a DBMS

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Mon Nov 22 01:21:15 EST 2004

Kurt and Nick,

Having GRASS read Filemaker databases (directly or indirectly via sync with
MySQL or something else) is one possible way to do this, although it is a
solution that doesn't exist currently. However, I think ODBC would be a more
straightforward way. I know that Filemaker can be set up as an ODBC source
on Windows and I think it can also be set up as an ODBC source on a Mac now.

When your database is operating as an ODBC source, as I understand it, you
simply set your database driver in GRASS 5.7 to ODBC. Then you can connect
to your database and do things like attach attributes to vectors
(v.db.connect) or create vector points using xy coordinates in your database
(v.in.db).

Michael

On 11/21/04 2:54 PM, "Kurt Springs" <ferret_bard at mac.com> wrote:

> Thanks Nick,
>
> Unfortunately, I will have to wait until version two comes out to use it
> with Filemaker Pro 7 :-P .  I have  another program that can translate
> FM7.  I just need access to a Windows machine with Active Perl to run
> the scripts to make the final translation :-P :-P .  Maybe someone can
> writ a GRASS module that translates directly from .fp7 to the GRASS
> database ;-) .
>
> I hope to have a report I yesterday's battle on the list tonight.
>
> Kurt
> Nick Cahill wrote:
>
>> Just saw an announcement of this: Filemaker to SQL Sync
>> (http://www.garrison.com.au/products/fmsql_synch.html). It would be
>> pathetic to have to pay $130 for something to synchronize your
>> filemaker database with much higher powered, open-source software; but
>> if you can't get FM to work with GRASS and want to do basic data entry
>> etc. in FM, I wonder if it would be worth checking this out?
>>
>> Good luck - again, I'm surprised nobody has done this before.
>>
>> Nick Cahill

PO Box 872402
Arizona State University
Tempe, AZ  85287-2402