[GRASSLIST:4904] Re: Using FileMaker Pro 7.0 as a DBMS

Michael Barton michael.barton at asu.edu
Tue Nov 23 01:37:13 EST 2004

Kurt,

Here are a couple other thoughts.

On 11/22/04 12:11 AM, "Kurt Springs" <ferret_bard at mac.com> wrote:

> My efforts in linking FileMaker through the OBDC has been somewhat
> bazaar.  I tried to spent part of Saturday trying to figure out how to
> set my FileMaker database up as a OBDC data source.  It appears I can
> import from an OBDC source, but there does not appear to be a way of
> exporting.

To set up Filemaker as an ODBC data source, you need an ODBC driver for
FileMaker. With Filemaker 6, this came with the Windows version but you had
to buy a commercial one for the Mac version (don't know why). I haven't used
7 to know if it is different. I hope so.

I forgot, the other, easy way to access data in a filemaker database is to
export to dbf. This is then directly readable by GRASS 5.7. If you have a
key field that matches the cat field of a set of vector shapes, you can
connect the exported dbf to the vector shapes via v.connect. If you have xy
coordinates in your database, you can create points via v.in.db.

 I tried to link it and got an error message.  I then tried
> to just import my old site file using s.to.vect.  This is what happened:
>
> GRASS 5.7.0:~ > s.to.vect input=wedge_tombs output=wedge_tombs
> bash: s.to.vect: command not found
> GRASS 5.7.0:~ > v.in.sites input=wedge_tombs output=wedge_tombs
> Input format: dimension: 2   strings: 1   FP:1
> DBMI-ODBC driver error: SQLConnect():
> [unixODBC][Driver Manager]Invalid string or buffer length (0)
>
> ERROR: Cannot open database
>        /Users/Documents/grass_stuff/Wedge_Tomb_Data.fp7
> GRASS 5.7.0:~ >
>
> Why is it associating my site file with the database?  More importantly,
> how do I make it stop?

You need to reset your database driver to dbf (you've set it to ODBC).

> Somewhere in the struggle it mentioned something about the file being to
> big.  Is there a limit to how big a site file can be imported into a
> vector file?

I don't know

> Also, creating a location in graphical mode is still not working right.

It works for me using Mac OSX 10.3.5

> One other thing.  When creating the location, I needed to use the list
> command.  I've forgotten how to get out of the list once I find what I
> need.  I could not find the correct key sequence in the book or manual.

This was a secret that stumped me and I wish that this was done a different
way. The secret letter is 'q' (for quit).

Cheers,
Michael

PO Box 872402
Arizona State University