[GRASSLIST:4947] Re: Info about 5.4cvs and nviz on 5.7cvs

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Thu Nov 25 03:52:04 EST 2004

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 02:51:49PM +0100, Lorenzo Moretti wrote:
> After Grass 5.4.0 release I have download the new cvs version
> (grass53src_cvs_snapshot_exp_2004_11_20.tar.gz) but I have seen that
> this version is like old 5.3 with static libraries for OS X not like
> 5.4.0 with shared libs.
> Is there a future for 5.4.0?
> Is there another cvs for 5.4?

No, there is no other cvs for 5.4.
But I hope that all changes in 5.4.0 release have been "backported"
to 5.3-CVS (some call it now 5.5-CVS).

IMHO the grass53src_cvs_snapshot_exp_2004_11_20.tar.gz should be
the most advanced software in the 5.3/5.4 family of code.
Otherwise it would be a bug.

> --------------
> After some test now NVIZ works in last 5.7cvs in Mac OS X.
>
> These are the steps for creating the new WIND3 files:
>
> you have your normal WIND file;
> select g3.createwind (GIS - Region - Create WIND3...) and insert all
> 3 parameters and GRASS creates DEFAULT_WIND3 file;
> select g3.setregion (GIS - Region - Manage 3D Region) and select
> update WIND3 from WIND/DEFAULT_WIND3;
> in terminal enter g3.region: if g3.region works the files for NVIZ are OK;
> select NVIZ (Display - Start NVIZ ....).

This is no longer required since last night :-)
Bob Covill submitted a change based on Helena's work to auto-generate
the WIND3/DEFAULT_WIND3 is needed.

> NVIZ now works like before: surface works, line vector works but
> polyline vector no.

What does not work for polyline vectors?
Please first update from CVS, then report remaining bugs.
NVIZ should appear more polished now as only important messages
are written (all other stuff only in verbose mode).

Let us know

 Markus