[GRASSLIST:4952] Re: Info about 5.4cvs and nviz on 5.7cvs

Paul Kelly paul-grass at stjohnspoint.co.uk
Thu Nov 25 04:19:51 EST 2004

Hello Lorenzo

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004, Lorenzo Moretti wrote:

> After Grass 5.4.0 release I have download the new cvs version
> (grass53src_cvs_snapshot_exp_2004_11_20.tar.gz) but I have seen that this
> version is like old 5.3 with static libraries for OS X not like 5.4.0 with
> shared libs.

Yes some of the changes on the 5.4 branch could/should be backported into
the CVS HEAD. But there is not much point in using the CVS HEAD as new
development has now been moved to 5.7.

> Is there a future for 5.4.0?

There will be more 5.4.x releases when minor bugfixes are put in. There is
no future in that it is a 'dead-end' branch and will have no new features
added. New features should go to 5.7 but there will be some in the CVS
HEAD (I have called it 5.5-cvs as it contains new features that are not in
5.4).

> Is there another cvs for 5.4?

It is on a branch. cvs -z3 co -r releasebranch_5_4 grass
I'm not sure if there have been any additions to it yet since 5.4.0.
Bugfixes should go in there and it will get really super stable.

Paul