[GRASSLIST:4489] Newbie GIS question

Rob Newman tatlar at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 7 14:09:21 EDT 2004

Hi there,

I am a total newbie to GRASS and GIS. I am trying to do some preliminary
habitat mapping for ecological analysis. What I have are some very high
resolution aerial photographs of coastal marshes with trees, shrubs, ponds,
streams etc. What I want to do is to try and map the photos by habitat, based
on pixel color, proximity to pixels of other color etc. I know I am probably
opening a whole can of worms here, but I would appreciate the help of many
other far more experienced GRASS users. I have installed GRASS on my Mac OS X
machine, but can install it on a Linux box if there are some macro's that I can
use that can only be executed from a Linux host.

Thanks very much in advance for your patience and help.

- Rob