[GRASSLIST:4528] Re: making an eps file

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Oct 13 14:22:57 EDT 2004

nvk2 at humboldt.edu wrote:

> The standard reference for PostScript is the "Red Book", formally known as
> "PostScript Language Reference" in its 3rd edition from Adobe. EPS stands
> for Encapsalated PostScript and simply has a bounding coordinate box
> specified.

There's more to it than that. An EPS file is a PostScript file which
conforms to the Document Structuring Conventions (DSC), and includes a
preview bitmap. The DSC cover not only the bounding box, but also
things such as page numbers, resources (e.g. raster images) etc.

> PDF and PS/ESP are similar except PDF lacks the programming
> elements (and therefor cannot carry malicious code to other machines). PDF
> also supports features like transparency. Amazon.com lists the book for
> $34
> (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201379228/qid=1097682963/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/104-6003528-2503115?v=glance&s=books&n=507846).
> The publisher's website is:
> (http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0201379228). When writing your
> program I suggest including support for turning Grass themes/datasets into
> EPS layers.

Note that a PDF version of the Red Book can be downloaded from Adobe's
web site:

	http://partners.adobe.com/asn/tech/ps/specifications.jsp