[GRASSLIST:4560] Re: GRASS Marketing

Matej Cepl cepl at surfbest.net
Sun Oct 17 20:03:53 EDT 2004

Chavoux Luyt wrote:
>> If you're taking guidance from OpenOffice, look at the import filters.
>> You open Writer, tell it to "Open..." an Excel or Word file, and it
>> simply does. One need not specify that the Word document is 51.34
>> pages long, contains 3000 words, 15 illustrations, and is formatted
>> for 8.5 x 11" paper.

I am a newbie in whole GIS business myself, so I really understand a lot of
what you are saying and tend to agree you a lot. And although I believe
that GRASS could be *much* more user friendly than it is (especially import
sucks, true), you seem to be comparing apples and oranges -- M$ Office
style programs are dealing with much less complicated subject matter than
GIS programs. In order to be able to use effectively Grass (or any other
GIS program, ArcInfo included) you have to understand a lot of stuff
(projections, etc.), which seems to be much higher barrier of entry into
GIS world than bash scripting. And yes, GUI interface for Grass needs
improving.

Matej

--
Matej Cepl,