[GRASSLIST:4559] Re: GRASS Marketing

Chavoux Luyt educluyt at sun.ac.za
Sun Oct 17 18:41:24 EDT 2004

Hi

Just  some comments as a newbie.

Jim Plante
<jimplante at charter.net> wrote:

> I live in the state of Tennessee, USA. At present, our state property
> tax assessment division is embracing GIS for mapping and maintaining
> property assessment records. Implementation deadline is 2008. Their
> platform? Windows (ugh!) Their GIS choice? ArcView/ArcInfo ($$!!).
> GRASS wasn't even considered, despite budget constraints at every level.
>
> In order to make inroads into this massive market, GRASS needs to be
> more user friendly, and 7.0 seems to be a good starting point. More
> needs to be done, though. A brand-new GIS user needs to be able to
> download, convert, and display free data at county level. These data
> are already freely available from USGS (DEM's & DOQ's) and the Census
> Bureau. Inexpensive DRG and DOQQ data are readily available. I've been
> toying (as opposed to "working") with GRASS since 5.0, and I still
> have not had the time to "figure out" how to import TIGR data so as to
> get the roads, as well as the street names, out of TIGR data.
>
> If you're taking guidance from OpenOffice, look at the import filters.
> You open Writer, tell it to "Open..." an Excel or Word file, and it
> simply does. One need not specify that the Word document is 51.34
> pages long, contains 3000 words, 15 illustrations, and is formatted
> for 8.5 x 11" paper. It just opens. GRASS will have to at least
> approach this level of utility in order to take the lead in the GIS
> field. One should need only to select Import, and aim 5.7 at a TIGR
> file. A dialog should offer one the option to import only a few of the
> layers (by selection) or all of them. The end user doesn't care
> whether the data are vector or raster, and probably doesn't know the
> difference. One should be able to point GRASS at a folder of .e00
> files, and select the ones to import.
>
> The database connectivity should be more user friendly as well. One
> should see the words "ODBC" and "JDBC" only under the "Advanced" tab
> of the database selection dialog. (I know -- at present there is no
> database selection dialog. GRASS needs one. Again, OpenOffice shows a
> good way to approach this.)
>
> At present, the full utility and power of GRASS is available mostly to
> those of advanced education and of comfortable familiarity with
> programming. Someone reports a problem, and a helpful user responds
> with, "Oh, just change the $GISBASE_CONFUSION constant to a float and
> recompile." The questioner is entirely comfortable with the solution,
> and gratefully implements it. To expand in popularity, you must
> remember that most potential users of GIS at the office/clerical level
> don't know a constant from a float, and have no clue how to recompile.
>
> The level of support for GRASS is truly astounding. I wouldn't be as
> far along as I am (which isn't very far due to time constraints)
> without people like Marcus Neteler and Lorenzo Moretti. For other
> users, Hamish, Michael Barton, and others have responded to some
> [...]

1. It might be that Quantum GIS with GRASS support would  be better for
most newbie users... I don't know because I haven't tried it yet, but
from what I've read it looks  like an effort to make a more interactive
GUI-based GIS.
2. I think many old-time GRASS users are unwilling to loose the power
from bash scripting that is availble in the command-line. I kind of
remember that a user-friendly GUI was low on the priority list from
previous questionares about what GRASS users want in future versions. I
think one of the reasons for this is that most GRASS users has already
gone through the painfull process of learning the basic GRASS user
interface. I think there are a whole bunch of GIS users who simply got
scared off by the old CLI of GRASS and who might have become GRASS users
if it was more user-friendly. Obviously we won't get their input if we
asked about future priorities for GRASS. In other words: we who are
already comfortable with the present user interface of GRASS might be
the wrong people to ask about the priority of an integrated GUI.
3. Compared to many commercial GIS's GRASS is really powerfull! The more
I use it the more possible uses open up. For most present users (and
developers?) of GRASS the extension of GRASS capabilities remains the
priority. This might still be the best road for GRASS if another project
(e.g. Quantum GIS) would take it on themselves to create a basic,
user-friendly and goodlooking interface to GRASS data. For simple
mapping, import/export of different GIS formats and projections, and
interactive selection of data (similar to Map-Info or Arc/View on
Windows) this alternative can be used, while GRASS can be used for
"real" GIS analysis, models, imageanalysis, database queries, map server
etc.

Regards
Chavoux Luyt