[GRASSLIST:4565] different CELL integer types?

William K woklist at charter.net
Mon Oct 18 13:55:45 EDT 2004

I've been importing a bunch of SRTM data recently and noticed that
there seems to be (at least) 2 different integer cell types - 16 bit
and 32 bit.  As imported, one tile takes up a maximum of 2.7MB in the
CELL file, same as the source SRTM data file, and in the GRASS header
file it's type is 1.  After I run it thru fillnulls, I round that back
to integers with r.mapcalc, and the CELL file sizes double, and the
GRASS header has a type of 3.

So, is there a way to get these back to the 16 bit cell types?  Since
these are meter elevations on the earth, I'm not worried about them
ever going beyond +/-32767.  Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but
I've converted many GB of these SRTM tiles now and saving a few GB
would be nice.

-----
William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos at charter.net>
http://webpages.charter.net/kyngchaos/

Theory of the Universe

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly
disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarrely
inexplicable.  There is another theory which states that this has
already happened.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy 2nd season intro