[GRASSLIST:4643] Compiling Grass

David Bannon D.Bannon at vpac.org
Tue Oct 26 08:54:39 EDT 2004

Hi Folks, hope someone can point be in the right direction. Trying to
compile version 5.7 on a system that does not have any of the GIS things you
people usually have lying around. So I'm missing things that the developers
probably don't think about ...

Any way, my experiences, firstly seems lots of configure things are turned
on by default and if not wanted need to be turned off despite what configure
--help indicates. This list includes gdal, postgres, odbc.

Anyway, turn them off and then find we need PROJ.4, is that mentioned
anywhere ? OK, get and compile that and tell grass config about it
"--with-proj-includes=/common/src/brecca/proj-4.4.8/src/"

So now configure works, but make does not. Seems when we get to building
lib/proj it does not know about that path set in configure. Spent several
happy hours trying to follow the make file's includes. Gave up and (sorry,
really nasty hack) redefined CC as being "gcc -I${EXTRA_INC}", yeah, really
nasty but easier than following those includes! Now the compile proceeds
until it needs ogr_api.h down in db/drivers/org, but OGR is supposed to be
turned off!

Google finds people associating this problem with gdal, OK, I get and
compile gdal. Now, to compile gdal with grass support it needs to be told
where grass is installed. But to install (or make) grass I need the
gdal-config file, presumably built when making gdal!  I'm going around in
circles!!

Here is how I configure grass :
./configure --with-proj-libs=/usr/local01/lib \
	--prefix=/usr/local01 \
	--with-proj-includes=/common/src/brecca/proj-4.4.8/src/ \
	--with-gdal=/common/src/brecca/gdal-1.2.3 \
	--without-postgres --without-odbc

And this is what it spits out at the end :
..
checking for gdal-config... no
configure: error: *** couldn't find gdal-config

And, no there is no gdal-config there.

So, is the source for 5.7 buildable or have I grabbed the wrong tree ?
Should a newbee like me be trying to build some other version ?

Hey, if you are still here, thanks for at least reading this long story !

David

David Bannon D.Bannon at vpac.org
Phone 61 03 9925 4733 Fax 61 03 9925 4647
Mobile 0418 525687 http://www.vpac.org
Systems Manager, Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing